Home / Tenants / FAQ’s


House-sharers FAQs

Do you reference and credit check? How much does this cost?

Yes, on application we will reference you with your employer and current/previous landlords/agencies. We will also credit check your affordability for the room. This costs £150 which is non returnable.

Do I need to pay a deposit?

Yes, the deposit is equal to one month’s rent. So it depends on the size of the room you take.

Do the bedrooms have locks?

All of our bedrooms have locks. We know it can be daunting moving into a new household, and want to make the move as easy as possible for you.

What happens when I want to leave?

Once you are out of your initial six month contract all you need to do is give us one calendar month’s notice. We will advertise your room and give you a minimum of 24 hours notice when someone is coming to view your room.

What’s your minimum contract length?

We normally ask for a minimum of six months, which then rolls month by month after your initial fixed term. If you have a short contract term at work we can arrange for a shorter rental contract length to suit.

Who will I be living with?

Our customers are predominately working professionals in their 20s, 30s and 40s. There may on occasion be a mature student or post graduate in the house.

Are there any other fees or charges?

No. The only fee you will pay is the £150 for the reference and credit check.

Do you have any rooms for couples?

Currently no, we don’t want to overcrowd the house and we want to make sure there are enough bathroom facilities to support you. Rooms are for single occupancy only.

Do you allow pets?

None of our properties allow pets, this is for the comfort of all house-mates.

Which bills are included?

All of them! That’s gas, electricity, water, council tax, broadband and TV licence.
We even provide a fortnightly cleaner of communal areas free of charge and on occasion the gardener will pay a visit, if required. The gas and electricity are included up to a combined cost of £200 per calendar month for the whole household. There is no reason you should go over this even in the deepest darkest winters, but if you did, it would be calculated monthly and split evenly between the house sharers living there.

How do I pay the rent?

Rent is paid via a standing order, to reach our account on the first day of every month.

How do I make an appointment to book a viewing?

Contact us on 07748327503 by phone call or text to arrange a viewing. Please be aware we must give our current tenants 24 hours notice, so don’t expect a viewing the same day that you ring up.

Is the broadband very fast?

Yes! We only put in the biggest fibre optic broadband packages available in our properties as we know how important the internet connection is to everyone.

Can my friend or family member come to stay with me?

Of course, but no more than two nights per week unless previously agreed with West Country Accommodation. And it’s always polite to mention it to your other house-mates—how would you feel bumping into a stranger in the middle of the night?

Is there parking at your properties?

Some have drives for multiple cars, most have street parking available, the odd one may have restricted parking hours. The property advert describes parking arrangements in more detail.

Do you offer referral bonuses?

Yes, if you find someone to rent one of our rooms, once they have moved in we will pay you £25. Of course they need to pass all the usual checks and you don’t even need to be one of our tenants!

I smoke, is that a problem?

No, but all of our properties are non smoking inside, which includes hanging out of the window! You can, of course, smoke in the garden with the back door closed behind you, but do not leave cigarette butts in the garden, place them in a sealed plastic bag if disposing in the house bin, as others may be sensitive to the smell. The best solution is to place butts in your main outside bin.

Is bedding provided?

No, we recommend one of the big supermarket stores as being most competitive in price. We do supply a brand new mattress protector which must remain in place and you should replace it you when you leave.

What furniture is provided in the bedroom?

You will have one double (or single) bed frame and mattress, a mattress protector, a chest of drawers, a wardrobe (or tallboy) and a bedside table. Some rooms also have a desk and chair. All rooms have curtains and a lock.

Do I need to bring kitchen equipment?

All properties have the basic equipment: plates, bowls, cutlery, sharp knives, chopping boards, pots and pans, mugs and glasses. However if you’re thinking of being on the next series of Master Chef you may want to add to the collection.

Is there a washing machine, fridge/freezer etc?

All properties have one washing machine, if there are four tenants you will have at least one tall fridge freezer (often another fridge), if there are five tenants you will have two tall fridge freezers to allow for a shelf each. Some properties also have the luxury of a dishwasher and tumble dryer, but not all. Check the property advertisement for more detail, these items will also be pointed out during the viewing.

My job has finished earlier than I thought, can I leave my contract early?

In this situation we try to help as much as possible. We will advertise the room for the day after you vacate and try to get someone to take over from you as soon as possible. You will be liable for rent until the day that someone takes over, or until the end date of your contract, whichever is soonest.

Who deals with maintenance issues?

We do. But we depend on your cooperation. Please tell us as soon as you think there is an issue with anything in the house, no matter how big or small, and we will organise the repairs. If it is a structural problem or general wear and tear the landlord will pay for it, but if someone has broken something, by accident or not, they will have to pay for it. We are always very fair and will listen to everyone’s explanation first.

Is there a TV in the house?

Yes, all houses are fitted with large (normally flat-screen) TVs in the lounge/communal area. They all have Freeview boxes to allow you to watch your favourite programmes.

Can I use Job Seekers Allowance or Housing Benefit to pay the rent?

No, I’m afraid this isn’t allowed. You need to be in full time employment or to be a mature/post graduate student. We will ask for confirmation from your employer or university.

Is there a landline phone in the house?

No, we don’t see the need for them, as everybody uses mobiles these days.